Tier 2 Sponsorship Licence

Every UK Employer (the 'Sponsor') who wishes to hire a migrant employee, is required to apply for Sponsor Licence. Sponsor may choose to apply for a licence in a particular category such as Tier 2 (General) or Tier 2 (Intra Company Transfer) or in all categories, provided they are able to justify the need.

(Migrant is any individual who requires a visa to work in the UK, i.e. he/she is not British or European or Settled in the UK or their family member. The migrant may be within the UK or outside the UK)

 In order to apply for the Sponsor Licence, the following requirements must be met:

Sponsor must be:

  • a Genuine, Active, Trading and Legal organisation (either Company or Partnership or Sole Trader) in the UK

  • able to nominate either one individual ('senior employee') or several individuals to act as the Authorising Officer, Key Personnel and Level 1 User, who will be responsible to the UK Home Office for the compliances, etc.

  • have no history of breach the UK Immigration laws

  • able to keep proper Human Resource records of all the sponsored migrants


Sponsor's Duties:

  • Report to UK Home Office if the migrant does not turn up for work without permission for a significant period of time

  • Maintain records of all the sponsored migrants such as contact details and copy of their biometric residence permit (BRP)

  • Provide UK Home Office with any documents as requested

  • Duty to act honestly in any dealings with Home Office


Categories of Sponsorships:

  • Tier 2 (General)

  • Tier 2 (Intra Company Transfer) 

  • Tier 2 (Ministers of Religion) 

  • Tier 2 (Sportsperson)


 Tier 2 (General):

  • There must be a Genuine Vacancy to hire the migrant

  • Sponsor must have done a Labour Market test and has been unable to fill the vacancy with a Settled worker, unless the job is listed in the Shortage Occupation List, which is available at https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/tier-2-shortage-occupation-list

  • Migrant cannot own more than 10% of the sponsor's shares unless the Migrant earns more than GBP 155300 annually from the sponsored employment

  • Visa for 3 or 5 years, can be extended for a maxmium of 6 years

  • Migrant should have GBP 945 in savings held for at least 90 days, alternatively, the Sponsor can certify maintenance in the Certificate of Sponsorship

  • Migrant must meet the English language requirement by one of the following ways:

1. must have passed an approved English language test, at least or above CEFR level B1 in reading, writing, speaking and listening. This test can be taken anywhere in the world, or

2. must have an academic qualification that was taught in English and is recognised by UK NARIC as being equivalent to or above a UK Bachelor's Degree, or

3. You must be Exempt from the English Language Requirement


Tier 2 (Intra Company Transfer):

  • Multinational companies wishing to transfer employees to their UK branch

  • There should be a direct link between the Company outside the UK and their UK branch, either by Common Ownership or Control

  • Migrant should have GBP 945 in savings held for at least 90 days, alternatively, the Sponsor can certify maintenance in the Certificate of Sponsorship

  • No English language requirement for the migrant to satisfy

  • Migrant can stay for a maximum period of:

5 years and 1 months - If earning less than GBP 155300 annually

9 years - If earning more than GBP 155300 annually​


Tier 2 (Ministers of Religion):

  • Sponsor should be a registered, excepted or exempted charity

  • Sponsor is a faith based community with a common system of belief and spiritial goals

  • Sponsor does not encourage others to breach any UK Legislation

  • Sponsor does not work against public interest or has any detrimental effect on common man's life in the UK​


Tier 2 (Sportsperson):

  • Sponsor should be a sporting body/club or event organiser

  • Sponsor should have endorsement from Home Office Approved sports governing body for the particular sport


Examples of Documents required to apply for Tier 2 Sponsor Licence:

  • Employer's Liability Insurance document

  • Proof of registration with HMRC as self-employed

  • Statement of Account - SA300 or SA302

  • Proof of registration with HMRC as an employer to pay PAYE and National Insurance

  • Latest Notice to file a Company Tax Return - CT603 & Company Tax Return - CT600 both parts must be supplied

  • Evidence of registration with the regulatory body

  • If the Local Authority requires you to obtain planning permission to operate your type/class of business, copy of such permission

  • If the business is required to register for VAT as per their turnover, then VAT registration certificate

  • Business Bank Statements or a letter from Bank stating the nature and duration of the Sponsor's dealings with the Bank

  • Business Premises lease or ownership documents

  • Licence to serve alcohol, if applicable


UK Home Office takes about 3 to 6  weeks from the date of application depending upon how busy the UKVI department is, to process the application.

Sponsor Licence Processing time:


Sponsor Licence is valid for 4 years

Sponsor Licence Validity:

Contact Form
Offices at:
Mill Hill (NW7 2DQ)
Liverpool Street (EC2M 7PY)
King's Cross (N1C 4AG)
Canary Wharf (E14 9XQ)
Chelsea (SW10 0RJ)
Colindale (NW9 4AT)
 OISC Level 3
(CLICK HERE for Full Addresses)
Click Here for
Phone: 02035751236
Email: info@visa-solutions.co.uk
Connect with us:
  • Facebook Social Icon
  • LinkedIn Social Icon
  • Twitter Social Icon

© 2014 - 2020 by Visa Solutions