top of page

Indefinite Leave to Remain 

After spending certain amount of years in the UK, either in any one or a combination of various immigration categories, you may be able to apply to permanently settle in the UK. This is known as Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR) in the UK.

ILR is also known as Settlement or Permanent Residence. ILR allows you to live and work in the UK without any restrictions. One of the important requirements of the ILR application is the Knowledge of Language and Life in the UK (KoLL) requirements. You may download the UK Government KoLL guidance here

Further, once you obtain your ILR, you may qualify to acquire British Citizenship.

We advice and represent clients to apply for Indefinite Leave to remain in the UK on all categories of visas. We always come up in the search for for ILR solicitor / lawyer or PR lawyer/ solicitor in London

Skilled Worker (previously known as Tier 2 (General)) for 5 years - Indefinite leave to remain in the UK  

Documents Required

List of documents required in support of Indefinite Leave to Remain application filed in the UK on the basis of being on Tier 2 (General) visa for 5 years - SEE EXPLANATORY VIDEO BELOW


­­Applicant’s and Dependant’s two photographs each

Applicant’s and Dependant’s Current Passport and Expired passports used in the last 5 years on Tier 2 (General)

Applicant’s and Dependant’s Current Biometric Residence Permit

Original Life in the UK Pass Certificate - book the test at

Last 3 months’ Salary Slips with the latest one issued within one calendar month before the date of the application.

Last 3 months Bank statements (either Posted or Stamped or with a supporting letter from the bank) showing the above 3 salary entries with the latest one issued within one calendar month before the date of the application.

Letter from Employer issued within one calendar month before the date of the application confirming:

  • you are still required for the employment in question for the foreseeable future,

  • the nearest applicable SOC code which best describes your employment

  • your current rate of pay (this should be given in the same format as given in the codes of practice, for example hourly rate or yearly salary),

  • confirmation that this is at or above the appropriate rate for the job as stated in the codes of practice for Tier 2 sponsors. 

Letter(s) from employer(s) detailing reasons for work-related absences, including periods of paid annual leave from the UK and also stating your period of unpaid leaves ( items 7 and 8 can be either separate letters or the details can be confirmed in the same letter)

P60s/P45s for the last 5 years

If all P60s/P45s are not available, then Employment History from HMRC - Contact HMRC at the following link:

and request them to send it to you, it will take about 10 business days to be received by you

List of absences in the following format:

Date left UK

Date returned to UK

Reason for Absence


English Language evidence - UK Bachelors/Masters/Phd Award or Secure English Language Tests (SELTs) Certificate passed at least level B1 - see details at

bottom of page