UK Fiance / Fiancee Visa

You can apply under this category if you are a national of a country outside the European Economic Area (EEA) and Switzerland and you intend to get married in the UK with a British/Settled Person in the UK and thereafter wish to continue to live with your Spouse (Husband/Wife) in the UK. This visa can be only be applied outside the UK. 


Steps for Fiance / Fiancee Visa and thereafter:

  • You apply for a Fiance/Fiancee Visa, which will be granted for a period of 6 months,

  • Then you enter the UK and get married to your proposed Partner before the expiry of this visa.

  • After you get married, you apply to the Home Office for switching into a long term Spouse Visa/Marriage Visa ​(This can be done through Postal or Premium Service)


In order to apply the Fiance / Fiancee Visa, the following requirements must be met:

Sponsor must be:

  • a British Citizen, or

  • Settled in the UK (Indefinite Leave to Remain or Permanent Residence holder), or

  • a holder of asylum or humanitarian protection in the UK

Fiance / Fiancee Visa Requirements:

  • You must meet the Financial Requirement - see details below

  • You must meet the English Language Requirement - see details below

  • Age Requirement - You and your Fiancee / Fiance must be at least 18 years of age

  • You and your Fiancee / Fiance must intend to get married within 6 months

  • You and your Fiancee / Fiance must have met each other in person

  • You must intend to live together with your Fiancee / Fiance in the UK

  • Your and your Spouse's any previous relationships must have permanently broken down (In case of previously married individuals, Final Divorce document is required)


Financial Requirement:

  • You and/or Your Fiancee / Fiance's Income must be at least GBP 18,600 per year - only you are applying

  • You and/or Your Fiancee / Fiance's Income must be at least GBP 22,400 per year - you and one Dependant is applying

  • Additional Income of GBP 2,400 per year - for each additional Dependant, who is applying with you

The Financial Requirement can also be satisfied by showing adequate savings. The savings amount depends on the income shortfall. We will calculate this for you during the initial consultation.​

English Language Requirement:

  • You must have passed an approved English language test, at least or above CEFR level A1 in speaking and listening. This test can be taken anywhere in the world, or

  • You must have an academic qualification that was taught in English and is recognised by UK NARIC as being equivalent to or above a UK Bachelor's Degree, or

  • You must be Exempt from the English Language Requirement

Rights/Obligations whilst living in the UK on a Fiance / Fiancee Visa:

  • You cannot work in the UK

  • After you get married, you must apply to the Home Office for switching into a long term Spouse Visa/Marriage Visa ​(This can be done through Postal or Premium Service)

  • You / anyone on your behalf, cannot receive public funds to assist you with your living and accomodation costs.


Fiance / Fiancee Visa can only be applied from out of the UK.The UKVI takes about 6 to 8 weeks from the date of application, to process the application under the normal service. Also, in some countries, this application can be filed through the Priority Service for additional fees, whereby the processing time is about 2 to 3 weeks, depending upon the country where the application is filed and how busy the UKVI is in that country.

Visa Processing time:


Extending your Visa:

You can extend your Fiance / Fiancee Visa for a further period of 6 months, if there is a reasonable justificaion as to why the marriage did not take place within the first 6 months.