top of page
visa requirements
family members/dependants
where to apply from
visa processing time

Spouse Visa or Civil Partner Visa (Overseas application) for Partners of EEA or Swiss Citizens, under new rules for Brexit

For ease of reference, we will call this visa as "Overseas Brexit Spouse/Civil Partner Visa"

You can apply under this category if you are a national of a country outside the European Economic Area (EEA) and Switzerland and you are married to or in civil partnership with an EEA/Swiss Citizen (excluding British Citizens) and wish to join/accompany/continue to live with your Spouse (Husband/Wife) or Civil Partner (CP) in the UK.

This visa category is not available to Unmarried Partners, if you are an Unmarried Partner of an EEA or Swiss Citizen, then please click here

This visa can be applied only from outside the UK. In order to apply, the following requirements must be met:

Sponsor must:

  • be a EEA or Swiss national

  • have "Settled" or "Pre-settled" status under the Settlement Scheme

  • either already be living in the UK or be travelling with the Applicant to the UK within 6 months from the date of this application

Overseas Brexit Spouse or Civil Partner Visa Requirements:

  • Relationship Requirement - Your relationship must be genuine and subsisting on the date of the application

  • Age Requirement - You and your Spouse must be at least 18 years of age

  • Marriage/CP Requirement - You should have a valid and legal Marriage/Civil Partnership certificate, which is valid as per the laws of the country where the Marriage/CP was entered into

  • You and your Spouse/CP must have met each other in person

  • You must intend to live together with your Spouse/ Civil Partner in the UK

  • Your and your Spouse's any previous relationships must have permanently broken down (In case of previously married individuals, Final Divorce document required)

Dependants on Overseas Brexit Spouse or Civil Partner Visa:

  • You can also include your children who are under 18 years of age, to accompany you as your dependants on your Spouse/CP visa. 

Where to apply from:

  • You can apply from from outside the UK​

Duration/Validity of the Overseas Brexit Spouse or Civil Partner Visa:

  • This visa is given for 6 months in the form of a Visa Vignette (stamped on the passport)

Rights/Obligations whilst living in the UK on a Spouse Visa:

  • You can work in the UK without any restrictions. You may establish a business or accept offers of employment without requiring a work permit.

  • You can receive public funds to assist you/your dependants with your/your dependants living and accommodation costs.

  • You are eligible to study in the UK without any restrictions

Visa Processing time:

The UKVI takes about 2 to 3 weeks, i.e. about 10 to 12 business days from the date of the Biometric enrolment appointment, to process the application 

Extending your Visa:

Once you receive this visa, you should travel to the UK as soon as possible, latest before the expiry of the visa. Once you are in the UK, you should apply for the Long term 5 year visa as soon as possible, please click here for more details about the 5 year visa

bottom of page